A six monthly review of the ‘A’ and ‘B’ squad of the Focus and Developmental classes were due in Jan 2017. The Selection Committee of the YAI after deliberating the potential of yachtspersons has announced the National Squad till 30 Jun 2017. The National Squad will provide development opportunities for the selected athletes to refine their sailing abilities in the build-up towards 2018 Asian Games.
The National Squad is composed of 'A' and 'B' squads. The sailors in the 'A' squad are fully funded whilst the sailors in the 'B' squad are encouraged to participate in select overseas events.
The criteria and selection of the squad is based on the following:-
- The results achieved by the sailors at YAI National Championships (senior and youth).
- The results achieved by the sailors in major international regatta conducted in the past 18 months.
- Likelihood of maturing into a potential medal winner based on skills and ability.
- The selection of sailors is also based on “transition pathway” from Junior to Youth and thereafter from Youth to Senior classes. This pathway provides for continued grooming of an athlete.
- The need to field a minimum number at International Championships (A minimum of 5 sailors are needed to field in the optimist team racing championship organized as part of the IODA World and Asian Championships).
- Selections in the senior classes are split in two categories of seniors and youth as some of the major regattas are also held in Junior categories such as 49er/49er FX/470/Laser Std/RS:X Junior World Championships with age restriction of 21/23 Years.
The Squad list can be downloaded from here